Tuesday, October 19, 2010

This one life...





"Celebrate we will because life is short but sweet for certain"  ~ Dave Matthews Band 
  




Ok, so if you haven't seen this, please watch...it's only 5 minutes, but it is beautiful. Did you watch it? Ok, don't read any further until you watch it :) 




Now that we're all caught up...
...so this is my inspirational, motivating, get-off-your-bum and live life week! I watched this on Nightline last night and was blown away at the enthusiasm and fervor that this guy has for life. Even in his darkest hours, he was comical and at peace with the his plight. And then to be given a second chance, and I realize it's still early, but his outlook, well, we shouldn't all have to be stuck underground for 69 days to see the world the way that he does. It's that funeral euphoria. You go to a funeral and you realize how short life really is, how any moment could be your last, and if it is you don't want to waste a single second of it. You vow to live life with reckless abandon. But then ironically enough, life gets in the way. Let's be realistic, you can't live a life without regards to the future if you expect to live a life with a future. So, how do we incorporate that zest in our everyday lives? It really doesn't have to be complicated. We just do at least one thing a day that says thank you, thank you for this beautiful life. To be present in a single moment and to just truly enjoy it. If it's running naked into the ocean or eating a really good cookie...enjoy the moment. A very good friend of mine suggested that when I go to Hawaii, that I take a moment to really take it all in. That I remember how it smells, how it feels, sounds, all of it. So on my most perfect beach, I took a deep breath, the smell of salty air off the ocean, the touch of sweetness that seems to linger throughout...I took a mental picture from every angle, still amazed that I was really there...and I felt it, I felt the water surround me, I felt the warmth of the sun on my shoulders, and I felt the squishy feeling of powdered sand between my toes...it takes my breath away every time I think about it and I can't help but smile. Now, I can't be in Hawaii everyday (not yet anyway), but I can enjoy the little things that make a life worth living. Watching Mario twirl his daughter, playing at the beach with his son, and kissing his wife...those are things that matter. Let's vow to get our priorities straight, to realize what is really important, and to enjoy a moment. If I see any of you running naked into the water, wait up for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment