Monday, October 18, 2010

You begin at the beginning...

“There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting."  
 ~ Gautama Siddharta





Sometimes, the most difficult thing to do is just to start. But at some point you have to rip the band-aid off. So, I figure, why not start from the ground up, and by that I mean my feet. I have this thing about taking pictures of my feet...I know, it sounds weird, but it's usually when I have happy feet. Your feet are the first to feel the day, they hit the ground, and say let's get on with it. They are there for every experience, through the rough moments and the happy times. They have walked my children up and down the halls when they were babies, they have carried me many miles in my attempts to run, and they have felt the softest sand on a most perfect beach. As a mom, I tend to neglect various parts of me. Unfortunately, I may let my roots grow out a bit too long, my wardrobe choices don't always include something clean, and a pedicure is sometimes nearing its second or even third month. That is what you can see, but the things that truly fall to neglect are those things which can not be seen, only felt.
This is my vow, to start to take care of the things that matter. I promise to use that box of hair dye that has been sitting in my bathroom for two weeks. I promise to get dressed in big girl clothes each morning, even if I have nowhere in particular to go. I promise to make my health a priority. Hello yoga. Welcome back running. Heathy eating, it's been so long! I promise to nurture my creative side at least once a day, either by painting, by writing, or even getting messy with my kids. I promise to show the ones I love how much I love them, including myself. And I promise to love my feet...to walk them through soft grass, slide them into fuzzy slippers, and keep them in tip top girly shape...after all, they have a lot of work to do! "A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step" ~ Lao Tzu 
Here's to making sure that the first step is just as important as the journey. ~ Salina

No comments:

Post a Comment