Sunday, July 10, 2011

Vegetarian, Pescetarian, Flexitarian???

Day 4 of eating cleaner, healthier, and nearly vegetarian. Why? Well let's go back to Wednesday. 


My best friend calls early Wednesday morning asking if the kids and I would like to come over, as her kids have just purchased a new video game and would love to play together. That's what she said, but what she meant was 'You wanna come over and throw the kids in a room together while we try and regain our sanity?' Me - Hells yea! Understand that we are several weeks into summer and as any stay at home mom knows we love our children dearly, it's just a lot of time together, even for them. So I say I'll see her in a bit and now my kids are counting down the minutes till we go. I gather my painting supplies and a couple projects still not finished. But we would not paint on this day.
She had just watched a documentary days earlier that inspired her to change, which we had had conversations about, but now it was my turn. So we watch "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and I can't run out and buy a juicer fast enough. Ahh-mazing! 
Now, if you don't know, I have Hashimoto's disease, which is an auto-immune disease that effects my thyroid, which effects much more. I also have a family history of Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. So eating for my health should be a priority. This movie was the slap in the face I needed. 
So it is day 4 and I'm feeling pretty good. My juicer is shipping soon and in the mean time I am eating as many fruit and vegetables as possible. To give you an idea...


Thursday - Day 1 


Breakfast: Smoothie (Lactaid milk, banana, strawberries, blueberries, dark sweet cherries) and coffee
Lunch: Avocado slices, kiwi, blackberries, Naked Green Juice
Snack: Granola bar
Dinner: Vegetarian Chili with shredded cheddar cheese
Snack: Multigrain cheerios with Lactaid milk
water with lemon slices all day


Friday - Day 2


Breakfast: Smoothie (Almond milk, banana, strawberries, blueberries, dark sweet cherries) and coffee
Lunch: Veggie sandwich (toasted Naan bread, roasted pine nut hummus, grilled eggplant, tomatoes, red onions, kale, cilantro)  blackberries, carrots, avocado slices
Dinner: Pan-cooked Barramundi in a small amount of Organic canola oil with sea salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, topped with a lemon garlic butter sauce (yogurt butter, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, red onions, cilantro) brown rice, spinach salad (organic baby spinach leaves, carrots, tomatoes, red onions) with lite caesar salad dressing 
Summer Solstice beer -2
water with lemon slices all day


Saturday - Day 3



Breakfast: Smoothie (Almond milk, banana, strawberries, blueberries, dark sweet cherries) and coffee
Lunch: Veggie sandwich (toasted Naan bread, roasted pine nut hummus, grilled eggplant, tomatoes, red onions, kale, cilantro)  carrots with hummus
Dinner: Veggie penne pasta with garlic and onion spaghetti sauce and veggie italian sausage, spinach salad with caesar dressing
Moroccan Mint Iced Tea
Latte
water with lemon slices all day

When my juicer arrives I plan on attempting a 7-10 day juice fast to detox my system (very nervous about not having coffee for that long though). Until then I'm excited about my meals, it's sort of an adventure to see how many fruits and veggies I can add. I know when the juice fast is completed that I want to continue to eat as clean as possible. I don't know exactly what that means for me, as far as the vegetarian thing goes. I still want to incorporate seafood into my diet and I'm unsure about poultry and red meat...the thought of never again enjoying chili colorado and barbacoa sends me into a panic attack, "Never again??" But you see, this is my eating plan and I can do for me. Mexican food will be my cheat and I'm sure I'll suffer for it, but moderation will be the key. 
I forgot to mention a huge challenge that I'm facing, I'm married to a must eat meat man, have two finicky 9 year olds, and we're on a tight budget. It has required some creativity and a little extra work but so far it seems to be going ok. The chili required me to cook the ground beef on the side, which my husband said it did make it taste different but still pretty good. The family ate chicken when I ate fish and I made ground beef for the spaghetti when I had the veggie sausage (which my daughter tried and loved). While it seems like an extra expense to buy two 'meat' options, I'm seeing that it means more leftovers for my husband to take to work instead of sandwiches, which makes him very happy. 
Along with eating right comes exercise of course. On Thursday I took the kids to my yoga class. My daughter loved it and my son questioned how anyone could actually like this. Despite his dislike, he quietly read his book in the back of the room with a book light and allowed mom to exercise without worry. On Friday I took the kids to a small family workout center so that I could use a treadmill, as it was 100 degrees outside. First run in months and it wasn't too bad. Next week I add in weight training. 
I have a vision of where I'd like all this to go and I'm hoping to be successful. Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment